December 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm #198056
I am trying to replicate my site exactly as it appears on another domain. Although I seem to be there 98% the remaining 2% baffles me. The missing parts are not terribly important but the curiosity got the best of me to write this post.
Here is what I do:
- Replicate the entire folder structure on the new domain
- Export DB from phoMyAdmin, search and replace all the old domain name occurrence with the new domain name
- Import the SQL file to the new domain DB which has the proper link via wp-config.php
I can view the site with a few exceptions related to the theme and theme settings. The missing parts are:
- Some, but not all the sidebar widgets, the missing ones seem to be text widgets
- In Genesis Theme Settings, the theme color remains at Default
- The header and the footer scripts containing links to CSS and font files do not transfer
- In the Theme Settings, the block "Navigation" which contains primary navigation extras is not there. I checked under the slide down "Screen Options" it simply is not there
- And, other options like comments, breadcrumbs, etc are not set the way they were on the primary site.
Are these options not kept in the database to transfer along with everything else? Is there a step I am missing that will take care of the theme settings and widgets?
And I am aware that the primary site is installed in a subfolder where the replica is in the root. I have done a thorough search and replace for the folder name and it is nowhere to be found in the imported DB to the replica site.
Thank you in advance,
Cemalhttp://www.keptlight.comDecember 23, 2016 at 8:43 pm #198061December 24, 2016 at 12:04 pm #198076
Thank you Brad, that is some help. But this is something I would like to do on a regular basis. I was hoping to export the DB, fix the folder name issue, restore it and be done. Does Genesis keep its settings and widgets elsewhere, outside the WordPress database? If it did, I would think it would be in a file residing in a folder all of which are replicated on the secondary site.
How would I export the Genesis settings? Is there a special command, a menu, or is it part of the export widget settings plugin?
Thank you, and have a Great Holiday Season.
CemalDecember 24, 2016 at 9:58 pm #198087
Under Genesis in your Dashboard you'll find the export settings.
You can use WP Migrate DB to export the database which should save all the settings otherwise use the plugin i linked to.
December 24, 2016 at 10:26 pm #198089
Thank you Brad. The Import/Export was "far too visible" it blinded me!! I will give all these a try, starting with WP Migrate DB which sounds like a one stop shop. But very good to know about the Import/Export Widgets plugin.
Never too old to learn!
CemalJanuary 24, 2017 at 3:33 pm #199960
Hello Brad, I am writing to update my experience. I installed the widget import/export plugin you recommended. The export went fine, but the import failed with a message "Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons." Something, somewhere is protecting me too much! Luckily, there are not many widgets to worry about, I will manually replicate them. I thought you might want to know about the import issue.
Thank you for your help as usual.
CemalJanuary 24, 2017 at 7:53 pm #199967
Seems like your installation is blocking imports. Maybe a security plugin or server side security like permissions.
January 24, 2017 at 8:18 pm #199970detroitwidgetMember
I realize I'm a bit late to this conversation, but when you do a "search and replace" on the database, how EXACTLY do you accomplish this?
Some of the data (including domains and URLs) stored by PHP in the MySQL database is "serialized" and can be damaged by using a text editor (or similar) to do a simple search and replace. This can lead to all sorts of unexpected behavior.January 24, 2017 at 8:34 pm #199971January 24, 2017 at 8:41 pm #199972thoitrangmtMember
1. Trans files
2. Trans data (sql)
3. Re config.
Bo su tap dam xoe du tiec cao cap.January 24, 2017 at 9:20 pm #199974
Detroitwidget, I export the SQL and meticulously edit it in a text editor. And then import it to the blank database on the other site. Here is the main site and its replica:
http://www.keptlight.com (main site)
I have not seen any ill effects on the front end and on the Dashboard. Do you suggest a way to test the integrity of the import? I would love to be able to do that.
CemalJanuary 24, 2017 at 9:24 pm #199975
thoitrangmt, I think you summarized the process I have been using. Thanks.
- The forum ‘Design Tips and Tricks’ is closed to new topics and replies.