May 20, 2015 at 10:24 pm #153046
Hi, I've been using Genesis for a few years but it's my first time using Genesis Simple Sidebars. Although some people say they are using it without issue, others just can't seem to get results. I'm one of them. Am I misunderstanding what it's supposed to do? I posted on WP.org a few weeks ago, and have read and followed the instructions, but it's not working for me.
Here is what I did:
- installed Genesis simple sidebar on WP 4.2.2 (child-theme Streamline)
- created new sidebar with ID and description
- in Widget, added a text widget to my new sidebar
- on home page, new sidebar not showing, only primary sidebar showing
- in "customize," "select default layout" I don't see a new layout with 2 sidebars and content
- in Genesis' settings, I don't see a layout option with 2 sidebars
- creating a new page, under Sidebar Selection, I see an option to select the new sidebar I created
- I select that new sidebar, and save/publish
- now the sidebar on home page is showing the content of new sidebar, but inside the primary sidebar
- there is still only one sidebar showing, although two sidebars have widgets assigned to them.
Conclusion: Genesis Simple Sidebar is not creating an additional sidebar that will display in the layout in a different location, so that TWO different sidebars will be functional.
What could I be missing? How can I lock the second sidebar to the layout? Anyone uses it and can have TWO sidebars on a homepage?
Thank you for any help!
Andrehttp://www.vi-control.net/portal/May 20, 2015 at 10:37 pm #153050
Choose "sidebar-content-sidebar" layout. Then you can display two sidebars.
May 20, 2015 at 10:57 pm #153051
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, there is no such option in the Customize area or elsewhere. See screenshots:
Therefore something is wrong, isn't it? Is it the plugin, or are there instructions I didn't see beside those accompanying the plugin?
Thanks!May 20, 2015 at 11:03 pm #153053
Your theme is not supporting the "sidebar-content-sidebar" and "content-sidebar-sidebar" layout. Which theme are you using?
May 20, 2015 at 11:10 pm #153055
Streamline Pro. I have about these SP child-themes:
eleven40 Pro v.2.2.1
Executive Pro v.3.1.2
Expose Pro v.2.1
Focus Pro v.3.1.1
Generate Pro v.2.1
Magazine Pro v.3.1
Metro Pro v.2.0.1
News Pro v.3.0.2
Outreach Pro v.3.1
I have tried a few of them with similar results.May 20, 2015 at 11:15 pm #153057
The themes that have an option for TWO sidebars, I don't need the Genesis Simple Sidebar plugin. Soi I don't understand your reply. Isn't that plugin supposed to create sidebars where there are none?May 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm #153058
what will be your home page design? Can you show the wireframe?
Force fully they disabled those layouts and secondary sidebar. You need to remove following code from functions.php file
//* Unregister layout settings genesis_unregister_layout( 'content-sidebar-sidebar' ); genesis_unregister_layout( 'sidebar-content-sidebar' ); genesis_unregister_layout( 'sidebar-sidebar-content' ); //* Unregister secondary sidebar unregister_sidebar( 'sidebar-alt' );
after enabling them you need to modify the style.css file. Otherwise layout will be broken.
May 20, 2015 at 11:28 pm #153060
Thanks, so again - what is the use of the Genesis Simple Sidebar?May 20, 2015 at 11:33 pm #153061
You can replace Primary/Secondary sidebar by this plugin. Somebody are wanting to replace the default sidebars with new one at different pages. That time this plugin is useful.
May 20, 2015 at 11:40 pm #153062
So I can replace an existing sidebar with a plugin to create a sidebar. I am really confused. 🙂May 20, 2015 at 11:42 pm #153063May 20, 2015 at 11:54 pm #153065
Wow, no wonder I can't figure this out. It is so totally irrational to me... but thanks for your kind help!
- The forum ‘Design Tips and Tricks’ is closed to new topics and replies.